The Pedagogical University of Krakow was established on 11 May, 1946 as the National Higher Teacher Training College, and it commenced educational activities on 25 October of the same year.
Initially, it prepared primary school teachers. The training cycle lasted three years and ended with the exit examination. From the academic year 1949/1950, the College also trained secondary school teachers, and worked within the framework of the new organizational structure based on teaching departments. At the same time, internal academic institutions and positions were established: senate, faculty councils, president, vice-presidents and deans.
In 1954, the College was granted the status of a higher education institution, where the studies lasted four years, and the graduates received full university qualifications and a master’s degree. As a result of the political changes of 1956, the University gained significant autonomy, and for the first time the Rector (i.e. President), who had previously been appointed, was elected. This was Professor Wincenty Danek, Ph.D. Under his leadership the development of the National Higher Teacher Training College soon gained prestige as a University in the educational environment due to the fact that it prepared highly qualified teachers. In the academic year 1958/1959, the study cycle was extended to 5 years.
In 1959, the University was granted the right to grant doctoral degrees, and in 1967 the right to conduct Doctorus Habilitatus courses. In 1973, the National Higher Teacher Training College was named after The Commission of National Education of the late XVIII Century. The year 1989 began a period of political and social transformations, confronting the academic environment with new challenges, involving the development of a model of education and functioning in conditions of complete independence and self-government.
On October 1, 1999, the College was transformed into the Pedagogical University of Krakow (Akademia Pedagogiczna im. Komisji Edukacji Narodowej w Krakowie) by parliamentary statute.
On 20 November, 2008, the School transformed its legal status into that of a university, and consequently changed its name to the Pedagogical University of Krakow (Uniwersytet Pedagogiczny im. Komisji Edukacji Narodowej w Krakowie).
Anna Stolińska holds a humanities Ph.D. in the field of pedagogy holds the post of an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Computer Science of the Pedagogical University of Cracow. Her research interests focus on the study of human-computer interaction, with particular emphasis on cognitive processes and visual competences as well as teaching and learning computer science.
Katarzyna Wójcik, IT specialist, lecturer at the Institute of Computer Science of the Pedagogical University of Cracow. Her interests include the issues related to learning and teaching programming. Katarzyna specializes in teaching web design.
Wojciech Baran is a web application developer, assistant at the Institute of Computer Science in Pedagogical University of Cracow, CEO in WBSI – IT Solution, Research interests are focused on web development and implementation of IT systems.