The project aimed to design and implement a sustainable educational model ensuring the development of highly specialised skills and competencies of future IT experts in programming and software development. The model contributes to minimising the number of students with educational problems and increases the level of knowledge from introductory computer science courses, which represent a necessary prerequisite for increasing the overall level of highly specialised knowledge and skills of graduates. The educational model implemented in the form of a modern micro-learning platform Priscilla (https://priscilla.fitped.eu) with the support of automated evaluation of student assignments and gamification elements leads to better readiness of students for lifelong learning by applying selected elements of work-based-, collaborative- and problem-based learning in courses of highly specialised IT knowledge and skills.
The primary target group of the project are the students of accredited IT study programs of universities, who were involved in the project activities through innovations implemented directly in the educational process. Special attention was paid to the involvement of doctoral students in order to prepare them for the job of a teacher, and at the same time to enable them to gain experience in working in an international project team. Simultaneously, the secondary school teachers and students were involved in the project through multiplier and other accompanying events, as well as students’ programming competitions held at the universities participating in the project.
The main aim of the project is to design, develop and evaluate a new educational model of learning programming languages and later advanced IT topics, which will be based on the suitably balanced combination of several contemporary educational approaches, modern learning environment and immediate feedback. We believe that proposed educational model will engage young people, as well as learners of all ages, to study programming languages and other topics of IT in a way, which is closer to their expectations, learning preferences and which prepare them for the life-long (constant) learning.
Project Unique Features:
- A balanced combination of contemporary educational approaches.
- Modern learning environment
- Modern learning environment based on the evaluated educational model as a background.
- Programming language courses
- Eight programming language courses with more than 2000 microlearning units and 1500 code assignments.
- IT courses
- Six advanced online IT courses focused on software and data engineering with real assignments.
- Universities and SMEs
- Experience with the cross-sector cooperation between universities and SMEs in the international environment.
- Learning analytics
- Advanced methodology for evaluation of learners’ behaviour using learning analytics.